30 March, 2008

Then I recieved this reply to my post from my good friend Matt Johnson. I really appreciate a good debate! I'm so glad someone commented on my article:)
... And In my next post I'll show my reply.



Matthew Johnson
posted 3/27/08 @ 9:55 AM MST
Smeesh, I don't understand the point of your article. Are you saying people should rule out dating their classmates? That just because a girl is in my class, I should cross her off as a potential date? I'm sorry but I think that is a ridiculous idea. College is an opportunity to pursue "higher education" but what is "higher education"? If you think higher education comes from text books and peer reviewed journals, well I respectfully disagree. (I hope I can explain myself clearly on this one...) Pursuing a major and a degree are noteworthy goals, but that is not what college is about! When I talk with people in the work world there seems to be a general attitude that a degree is just a piece of paper that shows some measure of qualification (how much the qualification is respected really varies from person to person.) In May I graduate with a degree in Human Nutrition. I've learned lots of wonderful things about Nutrition, Food Science, Chemistry, etc., but I wouldn't consider them the most important things I've learned at SUU. To me a "higher education" involves learning that you are part of a greater community that needs your support. The world is begging for your contribution, college is a chance to learn how you are capable of supporting that community and why you must! Part of your ability to support that community involves text books and research, but a greater portion of how you support your community depends on the way you treat other people, the family you hope to make, and your relationships with others. I've dated classmates and I confess I've organized study groups in hopes of getting to know girls better (Side note- this isn't always the motive! If your a girl, and you've been in a study group with me...don't jump to conclusions! ;)) Our study groups are filled with laughter and learning, we still get A's on our tests... so what's wrong with that? I look to date girls that share interests with me, what better place to look then in my classes? Where else do you expect me to go?! I think it's unwise to rule out a group of people as potential partners and lable it as a "professional move." As an example: Bro MacAffee used to prohibit dating in HOPE choir. He thought it would get in the way of their performances. A church leader told him he thought it was a bad idea to prohibit dating in any sort of a group... I was there when Bro Mac said "I don't agree with it, but I know to follow my leaders" At the end of that semester I think there were 4 couples engaged in HOPE Choir. I completely disagree with you (we are still friends though!) To say dating girls in your class is off limits just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sorry if some guy has tricked you into a study group and has had different motives, but spending time with the wrong guy isn't necessarily a bad thing (as long as respects you, if he doesn't respect you... get out of that situation!) It will help you develop people skills, learn to work with others, and sometimes being in the wrong situtation helps your recognize the right situation. I respect the fact that you are not pursuing a "MRS degree" but I fear that a lot of girls mix their priorities. I want to say this with as much sensitivity as possible... I imagine its very tough to be a girl and make the decisions you have to make (especially an LDS girl... do I pursue a mission? a career? a guy?? Those a extremely tough choices!) But I think it is a mistake for a girl to rule out dating or the chance for marriage while she is pursuing her degree (I know you aren't saying that, but its a point I want to make) Love is a crazy thing, you never know when you are gonna find it. Hopefully when it is found people will recognize that they should make appropriate sacrifices for it. Sometimes they might even have to sacrifice their life plans... it's a scary choice but I believe love will bring more happiness and satisfaction then a career. Anyway, I write too much... please read the following article, I think its worthwhile! http://www.townhall.com/columnists/DennisPrager/2008/03/11/why_are_so_many_women_depressed_part_i

No comments: