30 March, 2008

Sarah Michelle Lamoureux
posted 3/30/08 @ 10:30 PM MST
Matt, I can definitely see your point. And I do think that there are great friendships to be made in class, that can be explored. Dating has many different aspects to it, and there cannot be just one blanket rule. But, there are principles that should be followed during dating, and I offered a principle that I know makes dating more successul and enjoyable. My article addresses dating in the classroom, but I hoped that people recieved the deeper message. The principle I am talking about is patience, which is so crucial in dating. A real relationship takes time to develop. I think there's a tendency to panic because people may think "There's no time! We're all busy college students- and if it doesn't happen this semester, and if I don't ask her out now, then it will never happen!". Then "the game" starts: He asks her out, she says yes. There really is no connection point except that they are in the same class, but that's okay, she's cute and they'll get to know eachother more on the date, right? But how 'real' are people on the first date? Well- First date goes great, and there are plans for a second date. Here's where it gets iffy: He calls her to make plans, but she can't. She has a paper that she just has to write. He's a little put off because he's wondering if that's the real reason she said no- the paper could be a clever excuse. Then the next weekend, he calls again, but she has to turn him down again, because she's already made plans (she is, after all, still single). Now, he's just given up. Two tries is enough.. There was another girl in the study group he had his eye on, so things get awkward between him and girl #1, and he moves on to girl #2. I see this time and time again, some variations, but generally the same! We've all been through it- And why? Because there is a tendency to disregard a firm base of friendship first. We trick ourselves into thinking that it's okay, because dating is what we're supposed to do- that dating is to get to know the person. I agree with that to an extent.. I feel that dating is to get to know a person BETTER. But how do we know when it's not too late, or too soon to ask? When there are a few more conversations, a few run-ins around campus.. when you've had a chance to see her interact with others, and have a general idea of what she's like. Something a little more substantial than 'she's cute and laughs at my jokes.. yeah, this could really go somewhere!'. This is dangerous thinking, yet it happens more than a lot of people care to admit. There has to be a few more conversations. No games. If you study with the person, then get to know them and build that friendship with them. No hidden motives- and that's something I address in my article as well. That the Game is what first destroys a relationship before it begins. It's starting on false pretenses. I think it's great to enjoy another's company. I don't mean to imply to cross the girl off the dating list completely if she's in the same class; I imply merely to stop- and think. Enjoy your time, and enjoy the semester. Think how well the first date will go when you've been able to experience so much together! There will also be an understanding that has developed. You know you don't have to panic when she turns you down for a date- because you already have a script for her personality, you're more accepting of a decline, even though it's still hard. I hope I've cleared up a few questions on this matter. I don't mean to cause any restrictions in dating, because it's all very personal and individual- It should always be used at the individual's discretion. If anything, I hope people learn from my article that dating should never be a game. Games last only a short time, and it implies there's a winner and a loser. But dating can be a win-win situation, and a very good learning experience, not to mention one can come away with a best friend in the end. All it takes is the practice of patience and understanding. Cheesy, I know.. but it works, and it's an honest way we can all abide by.
Of course we are still friends!:) haha I enjoy a good conversation. If you have any more questions please feel free to email me, or call;) Sarahmichelle318@yahoo.com ps. Thank you for the article, as well. I hope I didn't come across as a feminist who hates men, and I'm a really depressed person who wants to spread misery across SUU campus. haha

2 comments:

Our Family said...

You are now tagged! Here are the Questions:

10 years ago...

5 things on my to do list...

5 snacks that I enjoy...

What would I do if I was a billionaire ...

5 things people don't know about me...

Now tag 3 other people!

This was a fun tag. I had a lot of fun doing it! Love ya!

Our Family said...

I just read your articles and I think, like you said it is all based on the individual. I have a friend of mine that loves the game and had her husband not played it at first than she probably would have never given him the time of day. They have a wonderful marriage too. The game however can only last so long though. For my friend it what gets her interested and then she doesn't want to play the game anymore and she is open and honest about it. In my opinion, you can date anyone you feel a connection with or are interested in but honesty needs to be involved. If a guy does invite a girl that he thinks is cute to join his study group than that is his prerogative. If I was that girl, I would take it as a compliment that he wants to get to know me better. I also would use it to my benefit. That is a time you can see his work ethic and how important his studies are to him. Sometimes a study group can be a really good icebreaker. Then you can go on dates and see if there is anything worth pursuing. If you are not interested in the guy, than just be honest with him. Don't waste his time or money on a date. If he acts awkward areound you than you know that you have made a good choice in not dating him. That is when you take the "high road" and just be cordial but go about your business. There will always be situations in life that affect you but you have to learn how to put a smile on your face and just keep treck'n on! I really enjoyed your article that you wrote, but I do believe that any guy who is interested in you should read it. It seems to me that you wrote exactly what you are looking for and how a guy should go about dating you. I do agree that there has to be progression in dating and that you need to be patient and let things develop. Even though Mike and I didn't date a very long time before we got married, Mike was very patient with me and let me kind of take the lead. That was part of our connection though. Mike knew me and what I needed with out me even telling him. Your wrote and excellent article. It was very interesting to read. But timing is everything. Sometimes, when something feels right you just have to follow the spirit and your instincts. When I moved up here to Utah, I did not want a boyfriend. I didn't even want to think about getting married. I came to Utah to clear my head and because I felt a strong prompting from the Lord. I personally never wanted to leave California. All my plans were set to move to Orange County. I had an apartment and everything and it just never seemed right. So I changed all my plans and my beleif on needing time to myself and moved here it Utah. I really felt that b/c of the experiance that I had just gone though in my life that it was not appropriate for me to even think about dating. But Heavenly Father had very different plans for me. The Lord guides and directs us to where we need to be and where we need to go. No matter where or how you meet your spouse, if the Lord's hand is guiding you than it is right. Everything about how Mike and I ran into eachother up here in Utah was guided by the Lord. Sorry, this comment is all over the place! But I just really enjoyed reading your article and what Matt had to say. I am not in agreement or non-agreement with anyone one. I think you both make wonderful points for your lives and others who feel the way you do. I just wanted to add my two-cents about life, dating and marriage! They each can be wonderful experiances when being guided and directed by the Lord! Love you Sarah!!!