30 March, 2008

Classes for School, not Dating

So I am a published writer!
I had to turn in an assignment: an opinion about any topic, for my Thinking Critically Class. And I was actually published! Here it is: Published 3/27/08




I address dating in the classroom.
I've always wondered about the motives of the men on the dating prowl - men who skip class, possibly essential for graduation, for a lunch date with a pretty girl more fitting to their fancy.I'm sure I'm not alone in my reason in coming to college. Contrary to popular Utahn belief, my reason is not to earn my "MRS Degree." Instead, I seek a higher degree of education.The social scene is enjoyable, and I think that in order to truly succeed one must immerse themselves in the activities provided at college, networking and making life-long friends.
Going on dates is a privilege that I enjoy, and I always look forward to the adventures in starting relationships. The butterflies in the stomach; the awkward, unsure moment right before holding hands; and DTRs are common but special dating experiences. Even though dating is a good thing, and necessary to a lot of college students' personal happiness, there is one taboo place I feel a dating relationship should never begin: In class.
Classmates are co-workers. We work to better educate ourselves to make a difference in chosen fields of interest. We have a need to be efficient, we need a good work ethic to get the job (our assignments) done; as soon as we enter the room we get to work, listen and learn.I consider school like the office, and I wish to remain professional because eventually the quality of my education will lead me to my dream job.It is mean and calculating for a guy to ask for a girl's number under the presumption of studying for an exam, when in fact he wants to ask her out. It is a break of trust, and no one should feel obligation to work with someone so dishonest. (This is just as true for girls ... I have met some downright scheming women.)
There may be cases where one finds their soul mate in class. But, in the small chance that ever happens, it would be worth the few months of waiting to find out.First, determine if they are even worth waiting for, and that may change your whole perspective. She may be worth a Friday night, but is she worth a few months of dating and a plethora of awkward moments?
The crush may fade near the end of the semester anyway and you may be grateful for taking the opportunity to focus your efforts on a 3.7 GPA, and not your dazzling study partner.Please, do not jeopardize the education of yourself and your crush because you absolutely must have that get-to-know-you time.
I know more than a few guys who have underestimated the power of patience and have come on too strong and too fast, drowning girls with text messages and pointless phone calls that annihilate any inclination those girls may have had to date them.
So do everyone a favor and when in doubt, wait it out. Education depends on it.


Sarah Michelle Lamoureux is a sophomore nutrition major from Heidelberg, Germany. She can be contacted at sarahmichelle318@yahoo.com.

No comments: